Most of us like to know where we are and where we’re going. It can feel strange to be __16__. The words “being lost” makes us think of a dark and scary street, __17__ that’s not always the case.
Once we were on holiday in Venice. My dad planned to go out to take photos early the next morning. Mum wasn’t __18__, but I would go with him, only because he __19__ I could have the biggest ever bowl of Italian ice cream if I did. __20__ else would I get up so early?!
So at 5 a.m. the next day we left the hotel and started walking in the __21__ streets. When the sun came up, Dad started taking photos and I __22__ him, down small streets and over little bridges.
After about an hour, I turned to Dad and asked, “where are we?” He said, “I have no idea.” I immediately felt a bit __23__, but Dad just laughed and said, “We’re lost!” I told him to __24__ his map or phone. He said, “I only brought the __25__. Come on, let’s get more lost!” He laughed again.
His laughter __26__ me and made me feel safe. Slowly people were appearing on the streets – shops and cafes began to open.
I began to __27__ that we were lost, and started watching and taking in everything that was happening around me.
__28__, after about four hours of walking around, we were back. Mun asked anxiously （担心地）， “Where have you been?” I said with a big __29__, we got lost!”
These days we __30__ get lost with so many things around us – maps, GPS, apps on our phones, and so on. But Dad showed me that being lost can sometimes simply be something to enjoy.
16. A. alone B. lost C. afraid D. silent
17. A. or B. so C. but D. and
18. A. worried B. touched C. satisfied D. interested
19. A. expected B. realized C. remembered D. promised
20. A. How B. Why C. When D. Where
21. A. modern B. noisy C. empty D. bright
22. A. left B. invited C. guided D. followed
23. A. scared B. hurt C. hungry D. tired
24. A. pick up B. think of C. take out D. pay for
25. A. map B. bowl C. phone D. camera
26. A. saved B. relaxed C. stopped D. warned
27. A. doubt B. forget C. imagine D. regret
28. A. Finally B. Recently C. Certainly D. Suddenly
29. A. surprise B. shame C. smile D. fear
30. A. hardly B. often C. nearly D. always
16. B. lost
17. C. but
18. D. interested
19. D. promised
20. B. Why
21. C. empty
22. D. followed
23. A. scared
24. C. take out
25. D. camera
26. B. relaxed
27. B. forget
28. A. Finally
29. C. smile
30. A. hardly
Copyright © 1996-2020 SINA Corporation
All Rights Reserved 新浪公司 版权所有